Delight for AFC Hatfield against Evergreen

PUBLISHED: 18:21 30 October 2013 | UPDATED: 09:33 31 October 2013

AFC Hatfield hit an effort wide

AFC Hatfield hit an effort wide


A storming performance against Evergreen from AFC Hatfield, who fielded five 17-year-olds, at Birchwood Playing Fields on Saturday gave them a much-needed three points which was their first ever win at home against Evergreen.

AFC Hatfield v EvergreenAFC Hatfield v Evergreen

Hatfield made three changes to the side that were defeated at Lemsford the previous Saturday with Charlie Payne making his full debut for the club and Sajjad Rezaei and Jake Hoy both returning to the starting XI.

The strong wind was going to be an important factor in the first half and after winning the toss, Hatfield skipper Ade Hammill decided to kick with the wind in the first period.

AFC made the most of the conditions and their first scoring chance came 15 minutes in when Stefan Saywell sent a shot just wide.

A minute later good work on the left from Payne ended with him crossing to Saywell who blasted the ball into the roof of the net.

AFC Hatfield lay off the ballAFC Hatfield lay off the ball

It was an assured first half display from AFC who were solid in defence and dangerous going forward.

AFC doubled their lead when a free-kick from their own half by Henry Otomi fell to Saywell who drove it past Evergreen keeper Callum Woods.

A minute from half-time trickery on the left from Payne finished with a shot that Woods got his palms to, but Hammill was on hand to stab the ball past the keeper and give Hatfield a 3-0 half-time lead.

The second half turned out to be hugely entertaining, as not unexpectedly Evergreen came at Hatfield.

Keeper Charlie Lloyd made three good saves in the opening 20 minutes and at the other end Dale Stewart headed against the bar.

Twenty minutes from time Evergreen pulled a goal back through Krasi Nakaveev, but when it looked like the visitors were getting back into the match. Saywell sent over a cross to Hammill who beat the keeper with a low shot to make it 4-1.

Evergreen made it 4-2 when Chris Blunden scored on the break.

Saywell had a chance to complete his hat-trick with a shot five minutes from time from a tight angle, but Woods tipped the ball past the post.

With two minutes left, Lloyd made a save with the visitors pushing for a third goal but at the final whistle it remained 4-2 to Hatfield.

The Man of the Match award sponsored by The Galleria was given to Hoy.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times