Codicote’s unbeaten streak is extended with win over Rangers

PUBLISHED: 16:41 01 October 2013 | UPDATED: 16:41 01 October 2013

Codicote scorer Joe Tyler (red)

Codicote scorer Joe Tyler (red)


CODICOTE remained the only unbeaten side in the SSML Division One after Saturday’s 3-0 win over Risborough Rangers.

Player-manager Liam Errington had seen his side win seven and draw one of their eight games to put them fourth in the table with as manay as four games in hand over some of the sides above them, including leaders Welwyn Garden City.

Although Risborough are a hard working side they never really tested the home team keeper at the weekend apart from some long range efforts.

With fowards Paul Garrett, Adam Furness and Leeroy Williams in Codicote’s attack the home support were looking for goals.

But with only five minutes gone the Villagers were looking at the other end of the pitch when skipper Tawhid Juneja’s high clearance saw the central defender pull his hamstring.

On came Jahmell Mullings, while Ajet Shehu moved into central defence.

However, Codicote were soon into a rhythm and Errington’s near post corner could only be cleared to Williams whose neat turn and toe poke from 12 yards found the back to the net.

Codicote were still making opportunities and Williams’ pace enabled the forward to create the opening for manager Errington, but his usual hammer strike was deflected for a corner.

The resulting set piece saw Joe Tyler squander the easiest chance of the half as the keeper spilled the ball into the advancing Codicote man’s path only for his first time effort to sail wide.

The second half started well for the home side.

A near post effort from Grant Macaree shaved the post from another Errington corner, but when Williams opened up the visitors’ defence his intelligent ball across the box saw Garrett on hand to side foot the ball home.

The visitors still plucked away, but without any cutting edge they could not get back into the game.

With the game going into the final 15 minutes Codicote’s Tyler was given the opportunity to make up for the earlier missed chance.

This time Garrett looked to find the advancing Michael Ettienne, but the covering defender could only handle the ball.

The referee pointed to the spot and Tyler strummed the ball into the side netting to give his side all three points.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times