Codicote all out of luck against Bedford

PUBLISHED: 17:14 02 October 2014 | UPDATED: 11:04 03 October 2014

Ricky Bridge scored Codicote's only goal against Bedford

Ricky Bridge scored Codicote's only goal against Bedford


Codicote showed tremendous fighting spirit despite slipping to a 2-1 defeat to unbeaten Bedford.

The management had only praise for their side after this defeat, competing with 10 men for 75 minutes and dominating large portions of the game.

Within eight minutes a free-kick on the edge of the box was quickly taken and headed home by Bedford’s Vinnie Shrives from six yards.

The home side were then perplexed as Andy Carter’s block tackle was deemed over the top by the officials and he was given a red card.

Codicote had to re-shape, but such was their confidence that Joe Tyler, Liam Errington and Ricky Case had enough to handle Bedford’s midfield.

Within minutes they were back on level terms as Errington’s corner saw Ricky Bridge rise above everybody to head home.

Codicote were incensed again when Bridge looked to clear from defence only to be on the end of a lunge from Bedford’s Westley Lewis leaving the Codicote player needing to be carried off; but the official deemed that tackle only a caution.

The second half started with once again with Codicote on the attack, but they had to be cautious of Bedford on the counter. Both Ricky Case and DeRosa Chavez looked to threaten the Bedford back line and when Case went marauding through the Bedford defence only a cynical foul stopped the player.

This time Chavez tried his luck from distance only to see the ball pushed around the post for a corner.

But Codicote eagerness to take the lead left a telling gap at the back once again quick thinking allowed the Bedford players to beat the offside trap and as Mark Bryant chased the player down a stumble saw the official point to the spot.

Bedford’s Craig Grieve gave Codicote’s keeper no chance and his side a fortunate 2-1 lead.

With still 30 minutes to go Codicote withdrew a defender and brought on both Danny Payne and Sam Stephenson. Now with three players up front Codicote waged war on the Bedford goal. But once again with so much in attack for Codciote, Bedford could have grabbed a third but two shots sailed wide.

With minutes to go the home side were desperate to get back on level terms and when Mason looked to be free of the back four, he was haulked down. With the final kick of the game Sam Stephenson thundered the ball at the goal onto to see the visitors’ keeper bag his side the win.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists