Citizens hit four in Herts Trophy win

PUBLISHED: 15:05 14 October 2014 | UPDATED: 15:05 14 October 2014

Jason Caswell skips past a tackle

Jason Caswell skips past a tackle


Welwyn Garden City progressed in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy with a less than impressive performance against Bushey Sports Club on Saturday.

The Citizens may have beaten their lower league opponents 4-2 to book a place against Whitwell in the next stage, however it took them until the final stages to clinch the tie.

City were ahead after four minutes when Bushey defender Walsh clambered all over Craig Arnott in jumping for a high ball, the referee awarded a spot-kick which Arnott converted.

Six minutes later, WGC caught the home side napping.

Perry Stellon was fouled just outside the area, he took a quick free-kick that caught Bushey unaware and Arnott slipped in his second.

After this the Citizens took their foot off the gas, although just before the interval they spurned further chances to build an unassailable lead. Arnott whipped in a low shot that struck the foot of the post and skipper Liam Kenna couldn’t turn in a Sam Perrin corner, from almost on the goalline.

Two minutes after the restart they were 3-0 up, Arnott whipped in a powerful shot that Kuru beat away but couldn’t hold and Reggie Ross turned in the rebound.

But if WGC felt the tie was wrapped up, they were mistaken.

Two minutes later, they conceded a free-kick just outside the area and home skipper Chatterpaul buried it past keeper Joe Croft for 3-1.

Ross had two well struck efforts held by the keeper and Arnott went around almost the entire Bushey defence, dummying and feighting his way past at least four players, before firing in what he thought was his hat-trick goal, only to see a defender clear spectacularly off the line.

Joel Norris and Sam James were introduced for Perrin and Juan Cifuentes and Norris was put through immediately, only to finish tamely. In the very next move, Jason Caswell was put in, but slipped his final effort past the post.

On 72 minutes, Bushey stunned the Citizens with a second goal. as Derby headed in a corner.

WGC continued to create and scorn their chances, but wrapped up the tie two minutes from time as Caswell nodded in after Norris’ free-kick was parried.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times