Caswell crashes a brace for Hatfield against the Jets

PUBLISHED: 16:48 01 February 2011 | UPDATED: 16:50 01 February 2011

Jason Caswell, pictured sliding in, scored twice against Oxhey Jets on Saturday

Jason Caswell, pictured sliding in, scored twice against Oxhey Jets on Saturday


JASON Caswell marked his return to the first-team with a brace on Saturday as Hatfield Town defeated Oxhey Jets 2-1 at the Gosling Stadium.

The victory came as a relief to Town boss Adam Parker following the 4-2 reversal to local rivals Colney Heath in the quarter-final of the South Midlands Challenge Trophy on Tuesday night.

“The boys are continuing to work hard, to listen and learn and challenge for everything out there,” said former Stevenage player Parker.

“I was very impressed with Jason [Caswell], I think we have missed someone who can put the ball away like he can.

“I am giving young players an opportunity at the club, and already they are improving.”

Oxhey Jets were punished for not capitalizing on early pressure when Jason Caswell lobbed the ball over the on-rushing goalkeeper to give Hatfield the lead.

Hatfield had a penalty shout that was not given, and a series of free-kicks on the edge of the area which were wasted.

The passing became crisp and a through ball from Daniel Staples nearly gave a great chance to Jason Caswell, however the Jets keeper read the pass and managed to intercept.

As the end of the half came near the game became stretched with Oxhey Jets breaking free of the Hatfield defence only to miscontrol the ball and waste the chance.

As the second half started again Oxhey Jets were the brighter and this time they made the domination pay. A free-kick in to the area was volleyed by Adam Lowton past Sam Lacey in to the right corner of the goal to bring the scores level.

However, Hatfield didn’t let their heads drop, and a cross from Jay Welsh was headed towards the goal but the keeper was positioned well and saved comfortably.

Hatfield continued to pressure but they were unable to find the final ball.

But a mistake by Dave Ogbogu in the Hatfield defence gave Oxhey Jets a chance, but the first shot was blocked, and the second went over the crossbar.

Oxhey continued to make chances, one of which Sam Lacey, playing exceptionally again, managed to save with his legs.

Town were still making chances, and on 80 minutes Jason Caswell broke through the Oxhey Jets defence and slid the ball past the goalkeeper to restore Hatfield’s lead.

Twice Oxhey Jets passed their way through the Hatfield defence, and only saves from Lacey kept the Hatfield lead intact. But, Hatfield clung on and took the win.

The Mortgage Centre man-of-the-match was Jason Caswell.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times