Caiger the hero after late winner for Welwyn Pegasus

PUBLISHED: 17:01 29 May 2013 | UPDATED: 17:01 29 May 2013

Welwyn Pegasus U11 Royals win U11 Cup

Welwyn Pegasus U11 Royals win U11 Cup


SAM Caiger hit the winner in the last minute of extra-time as Welwyn Pegasus U11s lifted the ORC Emerald Division Cup with a 1-0 win over Wormley Reds.

Caiger struck from distance after a closely-fought match and an excellent team performance from Pegasus.

It was a fitting final, with the two outstanding teams in the league going head to head in front of a large crowd at Barnet’s brand new training centre, The Hive.

Pegasus started the game strongly and had the majority of early possession, with Liam Bilyard and Rory-Satterly Hull linking up well to stretch the Wormley defence.

As the half went on though, the Pegasus rear-guard was being called into action more and more frequently, with defenders Adam Naish and Connor Ingram standing firm in front of goalkeeper James Cornwall.

The second half saw the game start to open up, with the impressive Cornwall keeping Wormley at bay with two excellent saves.

Pegasus began to up their game though, captain Caiger and partner Ramzy Nanou started to regain control of the midfield with Caiger forcing the Wormley keeper into two fine saves.

Extra time beckoned with Pegasus continuing to look the better team, and their fitness levels were starting to show as Jacob Gammon and then Tavian Fadairo made strong runs down the wing before just failing to find forward Jack Reed.

Extra-time flew by as the game opened up and the ball moved from end to end with some breath-taking football from both sides.

As the second period looked to be coming to a close, Welwyn Pegasus really stepped it up as first Jake Myles hit the post with a snap-shot and then the move and goal of the game.

Caiger picked up a loose ball in the centre circle, beating two Wormley players before looking up and hitting a screamer from just outside the area which flew in off the crossbar giving the Wormley keeper no chance.

Wormley just about had time to kick-off again before the referee’s whistle signalled the end of the game and glory for Welwyn Pegasus.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times