Bronti at the double as Welwyn Garden City beat Holmer Green

PUBLISHED: 11:31 14 March 2016 | UPDATED: 11:31 14 March 2016

Josh Bronti takes to the air to celebrate his penalty

Josh Bronti takes to the air to celebrate his penalty


Welwyn Garden City claimed a first home league win for five months on Saturday beating Holmer Green 3-1 at Herns Lane with Josh Bronti netting a brace.

You have to go back to October 24 for when WGC last triumphed at home in the league - a 2-0 victory over struggling Oxhey Jets.

Saturday’s result also gave the Citizens a measure of revenge for one of their worst away performances of the campaign - the 5-3 loss at Holmer Green in mid-October.

City began this first of six successive home fixtures well, Ashley Kersey nodded an early corner across goal, but Dave Parkinson headed wide.

Five minutes later, they did better to take an eighth minute lead. Again the opening came from a Jay Welsh corner. Green keeper Sam Butcher flapped it away to the edge of the area, where Kersey looped a header back over the keeper and in for 1-0.

Kersey continued to show his aerial prowess and he rose well to another Welsh corner to power a header just wide, moments later.

But Holmer Green were level on 16 minutes from the penalty spot.

James Burrell’s defence-splitting pass put Andy Shed in behind the home defence and keeper Joe Croft, after hestitating, came racing out to knock over the visiting midfielder.

Holmer top scorer Dean Allen rammed his side level with the spot-kick.

From that point, the game went into a lull after the bright start.

Visiting skipper Gary Lines tested Croft with a low shot, while at the other end, Kersey flicked on a long goal-kick to give Josh Bronti a shooting chance, but Butcher wasn’t troubled.

Holmer Green made a lively start to the second-half, WGC skipper on the day Jay Lovell making a vital challenge on Burrell and the visitors’ Ollie White waltzing round several home challenges before shooting at Croft.

WGC then struck twice in five minutes after an hour to seal the points.

Danny Payne split the defence to send Parkinson racing through, only for Bradley to send him sprawling.

Referee Sandlin pointed to the spot for the second time and Bronti drove home for 2-1.

Five minutes later, Payne and Nathan Dimmock combined to create an opening for Bronti to cut in from the left and drive a low shot past Butcher making it 3-1 and sealing the three points.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times