Boss’ blast does the trick for Hatfield Town

PUBLISHED: 16:18 28 August 2013 | UPDATED: 16:23 28 August 2013

Cletus Isiri for Hatfield Town

Cletus Isiri for Hatfield Town


WITH manager Micky Nathan’s words ringing in their ears, Hatfield Town responded in the ideal fashion with a 2-1 home victory against Stotfold on Saturday.

Following their tame exit out of the FA Cup, going down 2-0 against Newport Pagnell Town in the game previous, Nathan blasted what he called the ‘big-time Charlies’ and promised that changes would be made.

And one of these changes came off, as Cletus Isiri, making his first appearance for the first team this season, netted the opener on six minutes heading home Adam Murad’s cross.

Back came Stotfold and Jordan Cleghorn levelled things up with 20 minutes gone.

Hatfield’s heads didn’t go down, and Isiri soon swung a ball in which dropped to the feet of Junior Adeoye to poke home.

But the referee’s assistant ruled the former Broxbourne Borough frontman to be offside in what was a close call.

The home side were the greater attacking threat, and from another Isiri cross, Aaron Ewing was unlucky to see his right-foot volley narrowly clear the crossbar.

Hatfield were again to be thwarted by a decision by the official, as again they had another goal ruled out.

Ewing’s corner was met by centre-half Joe Welch, whose thundering header flew into the net.

But the referee adjudged Hatfield guilty of pushing in a separate incident, and the goal was chalked off.

On the stroke of half-time and despite Hatfield being the better side, they were almost hit by a sucker punch, but goalkeeper Neil Cheek’s full-stretch save ensured the sides were level at the break.

The second half saw the hosts again in the ascendancy, but some resolute defending kept the chances to a minimum.

Murad came close to giving the Blueboys the lead in the 68th minute, following some neat passing in the midfield, but the Stotfold keeper did well to deny him.

But Hatfield showed a determination that was lacking against Newport Pagnell, and on 70 minutes Adeoye netted his first goal of the season when he beat the offside trap to slide home.

That goal turned out to be the winner, as Hatfield held out to register a morale-boosting victory. Hatfield Town were scheduled to travel to take on Tring Athletic in League action last night. Visit to see how they got on.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times