Bond leaves Wembley shaken and stirred as WGC warm-up for massive week with win

PUBLISHED: 07:00 28 November 2017 | UPDATED: 08:36 28 November 2017

Dan Bond got the only goal for Welwyn Garden City at Wembley. 


Dan Bond got the only goal for Welwyn Garden City at Wembley. Picture: KARYN HADDON


Daniel Bond’s second goal for Welwyn Garden City handed them a 1-0 win at Wembley and set them up nicely for their big week ahead against Biggleswade FC.

The Citizens host the Bedfordshire side twice this week, with a League Challenge Trophy match on Wednesday being followed by the third round of the FA Vase on Saturday.

And City will go into those fixtures on a high, still just three points behind Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division leaders Berkhamsted, but still holding two games in hand.

Saturday’s victory was the first in recent seasons at Vale Farm and relied yet again on a late winner.

This time there were seven minutes left of normal time when Bond struck a fine winner that was totally out of keeping with the match generally, which was a dour, attritional affair.

It was started by a long goal kick from keeper Charlie May which found the head of substitute Charlie Joy.

He flicked it into the path of the former Hertford Town striker, who showed great pace in outstripping several Wembley defenders before finishing with an emphatic strike into the top of the net.

The delight on display from the entire WGC bench was a sign that for almost-all of the laboured 90 minutes, a goal-less draw looked the likeliest outcome.

WGC went into the game minus top-scorer Jon Clements and Yasin Boodhoo, both serving one match bans for five cautions.

Boss Adam Fisher reshuffled his side, playing skipper Danny Payne at the back and introducing Paul Marks’ steel into his midfield, alongside Ben Spaul and George Ironton.

Ironton had the first chance of the game on two minutes but there were only another couple of chances for the rest of the first half.

Skipper Payne powered a header from a free-kick wide in the early minutes of a second-half that also struggled to pick up the tempo.

Bronti squandered a chance to break the deadlock, his control letting him down and allowing the keeper to save.

City did finish the stronger of the sides but they were still delighted with Bond’s impact.

However, an injury to defender Dave Corran just before half-time was the one downside of the win.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times