FA Cup: Wynter and Sach end the Aveley hoodoo to send Potters Bar Town through

PUBLISHED: 18:45 26 August 2018 | UPDATED: 18:47 26 August 2018

Berkley Laurencin kept a clean sheet as Potters Bar Town won at Aveley in the FA Cup. Picture: KARYN HADDON

Berkley Laurencin kept a clean sheet as Potters Bar Town won at Aveley in the FA Cup. Picture: KARYN HADDON


Potters Bar Town laid a couple of ghosts to rest as they won through to the first qualifying round of the FA Cup with a 2-0 success at Aveley.

The Millers are one of the big favourites for the Bostik League North Division title and took four points off the Scholars in last season’s ultimately successful season.

But the visitors to Mill Field were clinical and first-half goals from Dernell Wynter and Bradley Sach ensured their safe passage.

Wynter eased any nerves very quickly as he pounced just 23 seconds after kick-off, jinking his way into the penalty area and slotting home with relative ease.

Many of the travelling Bar Army were still making their way out to pitchside when that happened and when they got into position they saw the hosts enjoy a spell of possession without testing Berkley Laurencin in the visitors’ goal.

Aveley could have levelled after 15 minutes but Harry Gibbs headed a George Doyle free-kick over the top and moments later it was Bar who almost took the lead, Sandro Costa and Wynter combining to go close.

But approaching the mid-way point the Scholars did double the lead.

Sandro created problems on the left and his cross saw Keegan Cole’s shot blocked on the line.

Fortunately Sach was on hand to coolly tuck the ball away.

Two minutes later Sach was involved again; winning a battle of strength with centre-half Gibbs and racing away only to see his shot fly just over.

The second half almost began as spectacularly as the first, but with Potters Bar almost conceding, a great chance fell to Andy Freeman who could only drive the ball wide.

It was becoming an ever more competitive game as Lee O’Leary drove at the Aveley defence but his shot was pushed away for a corner while a Billy Adcock free-kick produced a great save from Sam Cowler in the Aveley goal.

At the other end, Doyle fired his free kick over the bar.

Aveley sub Marcus Milner looked to have a great chance to pull one back for the home side but Laurencin was quickly out to make a brave save at the forwards feet.

And as the contest reached its climax, it was the hosts who had the better of the opportunities.

They couldn’t convert them though and Bar will look forward to the draw for the next round.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists