Five wins out of six matches for Welwyn Garden City mens 1sts

PUBLISHED: 15:23 02 December 2014 | UPDATED: 16:13 02 December 2014




A goalless first period soon turned the way of the visitors as three second-half strikes wrapped up a big win for WGC over third-placed Royston.

Two goals from Oli Reynolds and Charles Southey’s close-range effort handed Welwyn the win.

Welwyn Garden City have now won five of their last six matches as their hot streak continued.

The first half began with both teams feeling the other out, but with few rewards for either side.

The pace of WGC’s forwards, Reynolds and Southey, was causing the hosts plenty of problems and it was that pair that would ultimately decide the contest late on.

Bryn Evans then hit a rocket of a shot which the keeper deflected high into Reynolds.

The resulting penalty corner came to nothing as Royston were fast out to defend the shot.

Welwyn’s best chance of a scrappy first half came when Southey received the ball after some quick passing between midfielders Rob Sansom, Matt O’Connell and Oli Rowe.

The forward drove down the right wing to deliver a pin-point cross, that was touched just wide by the on-rushing Reynolds.

It was on the unforced Welwyn turnovers that Royston were most dangerous as they charged down the centre.

However, the visiting defence of Peter Mullens, James Lutrario, Mark Skilbeck and Tom Kirby did a good job of controling the play to keep the game goalless going into the break.

The second half saw Welwyn come out re-invigorated.

Their eagerness cultivated the first goal of this cagey affair.

Cute midfield passing allowed Reynolds space to run and his charge into the Royston D opened space for a shot, which he buried past the keeper.

Having waited so long for the opener, the second did not take too long to follow.

Rowe’s long corner fell to O’Connell, who returned the ball to the taker just outside the D.

His spinning pass deceived the defence and found Southey on the penalty spot, whose one-touch sent the ball into the goal.

With nothing to lose, Royston began to push higher up the pitch and were able to force mistakes from the Welwyn defence and midfield.

Mistakes were leading to chances for the hosts and desperate defending as Welwyn clung to their two-goal lead.

Fortunately for the away side, the ball stayed out of the goal and a quickly-taken free hit from the back initiated a breakway move for Reynolds to exploit.

Driving down the left, he cut inside well and in syncronised motion, he unleashed a fine shot that flew into the goal.

That was the breathing space, WGC needed as they closed out the win.

Royston got one back in the last five minutes but it was too little, too late.

Following several penalty corners, the home side’s pressure finally told and their forward slotted beneath WGC’s keeper.

The in-form visitors nervously ran down the clock as Royston pressed but were able to hold out and record another win.

On Saturday WGC host Hitchin- based Blueharts as the second half of the season begins.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times