Fightback earns draw after slow start against Cheshunt dents Welwyn Garden City’s hopes of quick bounce back

PUBLISHED: 16:00 24 October 2018

Bryn Evans in action for WGC. 

Picture: Karyn Haddon

Bryn Evans in action for WGC. Picture: Karyn Haddon


Welwyn Garden City produced a fine comeback but it wasn’t enough to clinch the win as they drew 2-2 with Cheshunt.

After the disappointment of losing their first game of the season at in East League Division Three South West at Bedford last week, the Hertfordshire Sports Village-based hockey club were fired up to put their east Herts neighbours to the sword.

But the first half did not go to plan as they trailed 2-0 by the interval.

They had started well enough with some good interplay between Max Davies, Rob Sansom and Mark Skillbeck down the right causing Cheshunt lots of problems.

And it wasn’t long before Welwyn got their first chance when a good ball from James Fowler found Bryn Evans who created the opportunity but sliced his effort wide with the keeper beaten.

But for the rest of the half they were indebted to some good last-ditch tackles from James Lutrario, Ben O’Boyle, Stuart Stephens and Pete Mullens to and some great saves by Dan Klinger to keep the score at 0-0.

They couldn’t keep them out forever though and two quick goals put the visitors ahead by the break.

A much-better performance from WGC was both needed and wanted and they started on the front foot with Dan Hatt finding Evans but his shot was well-saved.

Cheshunt did get chances to break with Welwyn pressing so much but Klinger was in fine form.

And eventually the hosts got the breakthrough they had been looking for.

Good work from Sansom and Davies earned Welwyn a short corner and although Evans had his drag-flick saved, Davies was on hand to smash the ball home.

And it was another short corner that produced the equaliser.

Skillbeck and Lutrario were the architects in winning it and this time Evans made no mistake, firing high into the top of the net.

And even though time was not on their side, they still created chances in the closing minutes.

However, Cheshunt defended them well and in the end both sides came away happy with a point.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times