F1: Lewis Hamilton agrees new contract with Mercedes
- Credit: Mercedes-Benz
Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton has agreed a new three-year deal with the Mercedes AMG Petronas team.
The F1 giants confirmed today (Wednesday) that the 30-year-old from Hertfordshire has finalised a new contract which will see him drive for Mercedes for the 2016 to 2018 seasons inclusive.
Since making his Formula One debut with McLaren in 2007, Hamilton has started every one of his 153 Grands Prix with Mercedes-Benz power, and this track record includes 36 victories, of which 15 were at the wheel of a works Silver Arrow.
Hamilton said: “Mercedes is my home and I couldn’t be happier to be staying here for another three years.
“This is a company filled with real passionate racers, from the boardroom to the factory floor, and an incredible hunger to win.
You may also want to watch:
“Even after the success of last year, that hunger is greater than ever – and it’s the same for me, too.”
He added: “The Mercedes car I am driving right now is the best I have ever had in my career. It’s just so much fun to be out there every weekend, on the limit and fighting to win at every track.
- 1 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 2 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 5 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 6 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 9 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
- 10 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
“Mercedes-Benz began supporting me in 1998 so I am very proud that this contract means I will mark 20 years with Mercedes in 2018.”
Toto Wolff, the head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, is pleased the long-running contract talks are over.
He said: “Continuity is one of the key factors for delivering success in Formula One and we now have that in place.
“Lewis enjoyed an historic World Championship season with Mercedes-Benz last year and it was a priority for this season to renew his contract for the next term.
“We have taken the right amount of time with the process and not rushed ourselves.
“The result is a strong agreement that will enhance Lewis’ association with the Mercedes-Benz brand, and that recognises and respects the market value of Lewis and of Mercedes in Formula One.
“Lewis’ sporting track record speaks for itself and he is a great personality for the company.”
Wolff added: “Personally, I am looking forward to continuing to race with the strongest driver pairing in Formula One and to more historic achievements together.”
Hamilton joined Mercedes AMG Petronas in 2013, winning his first race for the Silver Arrows in Hungary that year.
In 2014, he recorded 11 race wins on his way to securing his second Formula One World Championship.
This title saw him become the first driver since Juan Manuel Fangio to win the World Championship in a works Mercedes-Benz.
Hamilton currently leads the 2015 Formula One World Championship by 20 points from team-mate Nico Rosberg, ahead of this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix.