F1 champion Hamilton's season best in Bahrain GP qualifying
LEWIS Hamilton produced his best qualifying performance of the season at lunchtime today in Bahrain. The reigning F1 world champion from Herts was fifth quickest ahead of tomorrow s Bahrain Grand Prix. We have been pushing incredibly hard over the last c
LEWIS Hamilton produced his best qualifying performance of the season at lunchtime today in Bahrain.
The reigning F1 world champion from Herts was fifth quickest ahead of tomorrow's Bahrain Grand Prix.
"We have been pushing incredibly hard over the last couple of months and this is a result of all our hard work," said Lewis.
Encouraged by the pace and consistency of MP4-24, the 24-year-old McLaren racer made more progress with the car ahead of qualifying during the morning's practice session.
You may also want to watch:
He completed three runs and ended the day fourth fastest.
"We are making improvements all the time," he said afterwards.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 10 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
That was evident in qualifying with the Tewin driver securing a place on the third row.
Toyota completed a front row one-two with Jarno Trulli on pole and Timo Glock second.
Lewis set a Q1 banker on option tyres of 1 minute 33.290 seconds before setting a faster 1m 32.851s, again on options, to finish the first session third fastest.
Into Q2, he ran a used set of options to record a 1m 33.472s - a lap he was dissatisfied with - before pulling out a 1m 32.877s to finish eighth in an incredibly closely fought session.
That ensured the McLaren Mercedes man would battle for a top 10 spot for only the second time third year.
Hamilton clocked a 1m 35.042s banker on primes before recording a 1m 34.196s, on options, to line up fifth - the team's best qualifying position of the season.