F1 2012 Hungarian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton sets practice pace
PUBLISHED: 10:57 27 July 2012 | UPDATED: 11:32 27 July 2012
LEWIS Hamilton set the pace for the McLaren Formula 1 team in first practice for the 2012 Hungarian Grand Prix at the Hungaroring near Budapest.
Hungarian Grand Prix facts
* Race distance: 70 laps (190.531 miles/306.630km)
* Start time: 14:00 (local)/13:00 BST
* Circuit length: 2.722 miles/4.381km
* 2011 winner: Jenson Button (Vodafone McLaren Mercedes) 70 laps in 1hr46m42.337s
* 2011 pole: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Racing) 1m19.815s (197.601km/h)
* Lap record: Michael Schumacher (Ferrari F2004) 1m19.071s (199.461km/h)
The 27-year-old Vodafone McLaren Mercedes racer from Hertfordshire topped the FP1 timesheets in Hungary this morning (Friday).
He clocked a fastest lap of 1m 22.821s as McLaren’s F1 stars dominated the opening session.
McLaren teammate Jenson Button was second quickest on a 1m 22.922s.
Third was Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso with a 1m 23.397s.
Nico Rosberg was fourth fastest for Mercedes, with Lotus driver Romain Grosjean fifth and Michael Schumacher sixth.