England starting place against Scotland for Welwyn Garden City rugby star
- Credit: Archant
Lotte Clapp is in line for her third senior cap as England women begin their RBS 6 Nations campaign against Scotland on Friday.
The former Sir Frederic Osborn School pupil and Welwyn Rugby Club winger, who now plays for Saracens, has been named in coach Scott Bemand’s starting 15 that will take to the field at the Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld.
Clapp made her England debut last November against France in the autumn international series.
Of his latest squad Bemand, said: “We believe we have the best possible group to take us into a seven-week competition, having just come out of four good days in camp.
“The Scottish squad have been working hard and training together on a regular basis and so we should not underestimate them as a team.
You may also want to watch:
“We are still a young side, but with the likes of Rochelle Clark, who has 105 England caps, in the squad we can be excited that there is a good balance of experience and exciting new names.”
Bemand added: “It’s a great achievement that La Toya Mason will gain her 50th cap on Friday and great to have her experience, having played in two World Cup finals.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 10 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
“The four girls seeking to gain their first cap have performed consistently in the Premiership this season and earned their right to be in the squad.”
The game kicks off at 18:00 from, and will be broadcast live on England Rugby TV.
The England match-day 23 to face Scotland:
15. Katie Mason (Bristol, 5 caps)
14. Ruth Laybourn (Darlington Mowden Park, 12 caps)
13. Lauren Cattell (Saracens, 13 caps)
12. Ceri Large (Worcester, 42 caps)
11. Lotte Clapp (Saracens, 2 caps)
10. Amber Reed (Bristol, 24 caps)
9. La Toya Mason (Darlington Mowden Park, 49 caps)
1. Rochelle Clark (Worcester, 105 caps)
2. Amy Cokayne (Lichfield, 8 caps)
3. Vickii Cornborough (Richmond, 9 caps)
4. Abbie Scott (Darlington Mowden Park, 10 caps)
5. Emily Braund (Lichfield, 18 caps)
6. Harriet Millar-Mills (Lichfield, 26 caps)
7. Izzy Noel-Smith (Bristol, 12 caps)
8. Sarah Hunter (Bristol, 73 caps)
16. Emma Croker (Richmond, 58 caps)
17. Heather Kerr (Darlington Mowden Park, 2 caps)
18. Bee Dawson (Wasps, uncapped)
19. Courtney Gill (Worcester, uncapped)
20. Poppy Cleall (Saracens, uncapped)
21. Bianca Blackburn (Worcester, 8 caps)
22. Lucy Demaine (Bristol, uncapped)
23. Leanne Riley (Richmond, 5 caps)
Lark Davies (Worcester, 1 cap) will travel as a reserve