Depleted Welwyn Garden City 2nds in derby success
WGC 2nds 3 St Albans 4ths 2 A DEPLETED Welwyn Garden City Ladies Hockey 2nd XI had a local derby against a strong St Albans 4ths team - but still won 3-2 in Division Two of the Five Counties League. Both of the teams began well, with WGC keeper Erica Sto
WGC 2nds 3 St Albans 4ths 2
A DEPLETED Welwyn Garden City Ladies Hockey 2nd XI had a local derby against a strong St Albans 4ths team - but still won 3-2 in Division Two of the Five Counties League.
Both of the teams began well, with WGC keeper Erica Stovold having to make some vital kicks in the Welwyn goal.
But it was the home side who went ahead midway through the first half.
You may also want to watch:
A strong attack down the left involving Shelley Beaver, Jo Hunter and Heather Veal broke through the St Albans defence and WGC defender Dossie Brando, came up in support and got in a good shot.
The St Albans keeper made a good initial save, but was unable to keep out the reverse stick rebound push from Olive James.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
It only took five minutes for St Albans to strike back, with their centre midfield undercutting an amazing shot over the head of Stovold and into the top of the Welwyn net to even the score.
The score remained at 1-1 until 10 minutes into the second half.
Kate Whiteland latched on to a Lucie Warrington pass to put Welwyn ahead again.
St Albans' experience showed as they piled on the pressure.
Youngsters Holly Butrimas-Gair and Marie Davies did wonderful work in defence against very skillful opponents. But St Albans managed to equalise again.
The score remained at 2-2 until the last five minutes when Welwyn earned a short corner.
A firm push out was collected by Olive James who struck the ball powerfully a few inches off the ground to score the winner.
The side are back in action on January 10 when they travel to take on Hertford 2nds.