Datchworth claim a league victory for first time this season at Letchworth
- Credit: DANNY LOO
Datchworth got their first taste of victory in the Herts Cricket League this summer with a win away to Letchworth.
Steve Gregory's men were asked to field first but even after conceding 242-6, they were confident they could take advantage of an excellent batting track.
Martin Atkinson (2-59) just edged Luke Bennett (2-68) as the pick of the bowlers while for Letchworth Sarbjit Cahal's 65 was one run better than opener Yusuf Mayet, who had put on 82 for the first wicket with David Sprittles (35).
Letchworth had scored over 100 in the final 12 overs, part of the reason for Datchworth's confidence, but the home side started well, taking the first two wickets for 34.
They needed a steadying partnership and what they got was probably even more.
Bennett and Gregory displayed an excellent understanding in their running between the wickets and both capitalised on any loose deliveries.
Their stand only ended when Gregory fell for a well-crafted 53, the pair having added 119 for the third wicket, but Bennett ploughed on, falling five runs short of a deserved century.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 Girls of Potters Bar Crusaders happy with draw at hot Harpenden
- 10 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
He departed with 26 required from four overs but brother Tom (28*) and Steve Stroomer (18*) ensured that victory was claimed in the penultimate over.