County bronze for Garden City Runners’ ladies at Letchworth’s Standalone 10k
- Credit: Archant
Garden City Runners’ ladies team were the toast of the club after claiming third place in the Herts County senior race at the Standalone 10K in Letchworth Garden City.
Hannah Ahmet, Bethan Mose and Yvonne Jones were trio who took the medals, finishing in 47 minutes 40 seconds, 48:26 and 50:04 respectively.
Mose’s time was a 10k PB while Ahmet was three minutes quicker than her time last year in what was one of her first races with GCR.
It was the 30th running of the increasingly popular race, which doubled as the county event, and brought surprisingly balmy conditions to its undulating road course.
The finish was within the grounds of Standalone Farm and came after an energising downhill third-of-a-mile stretch and a short flat stretch of gravel and grass.
You may also want to watch:
The GCR men, however, just missed out on medals with only three seconds preventing Sean Bowen’s terrific time of 38:20 from bringing the team home in third.
The first GCR finisher was Neil Hume who came sixth in 34:18.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
There was a chill in the air and a slight drizzle before the finish for some at the Hatfield 5k, the final race in the three-race series.
Martha Hall was the second FV35 home in 18:32 and Virgina Bird was second in the FV55 category in 24:26.
The Willow 10k took place on Sunday ta Hatield house.
It was the ninth holding of the fundraising event for the charity, co-founded by life presidents Bob and Megs Wilson.
GCR members who nobly participated and raised funds were Robert Cartwright, who finished in 1:03:10 and Emily Hammond in 1:08:10.
They were led home by Richard Willcox who took an impressive fourth place in 40:36.
There were as usual plenty of GCRs in parkrun action with the prize for the furthest travelled this week going to Richard Sidlin who is touring in the USA.
GCRs newest beginners course started yesterday (Tuesday).
Run by volunteers, and Karen Atkinson, Helen Paine and Charlotte Jones, it will complete after 10 weeks on December 9 when the class do their 5k graduation run at Panshanger parkrun.
For more information on the club visit their website at www.gardencityrunners.org.uk or find them on Facebook.