Codicote teens a point from winning title
- Credit: Archant
Codicote U16s put on a superb display to brush aside their nearest challengers for the Eastern Junior Alliance title with a 5-0 victory over St Neots Town and now need one point to be crowned champions.
The first 15 minutes saw little goalmouth action, before Alfie Barker saw a shot pushed away with Philip Ball unable to knock in the rebound.
Barker then had another chance, but a bobble saw his shot fly wide.
Keeper Marcus Bourne then made a fine double save, pushing away a low shot, and reacting to deny the follow up.
A minute later he got a hand to a close range effort to put it over.
You may also want to watch:
Codicote took the lead after 34 minutes with a Nathan Dimmock strike finding the corner of the net. Codicote were now in control of the game and some of their play was pulling St Neots apart.
On the stroke of half-time a run by Dimmock set up Katchi Njoku, but his shot cleared the bar.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook
- 4 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 8 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 9 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
The second half saw some fine football, with the interplay from Codicote in all areas of the park.
Njoku headed wide in the opening minute, but it was soon 2-0 as Dylan Plati smashed in a free-kick.
Emile Eseigbe then had an effort cleared off the line.
Two minutes later it was 3-0, as Luke Foster burst past the defence, and his driven cross was knocked past his own keeper by a defender.
Dimmock had another drive just fly wide of the post, but it was soon four, as after more great team play,
Toby Parker hammered in a half-volley from the edge of the box and saw another chance headed off the line, with Barker’s follow up saved.
The goals continued to get better, as Barker then took the ball on the halfway line before turning past defenders, and smashing a stunning 30-yard shot past the keeper to wrap up the victory.
Codicote now need just a point to wrap up the title.