BT Wheelchair Rugby National Championship title joy for Welwyn Garden City duo
- Credit: Jason Senior
Two wheelchair rugby players from Welwyn Garden City tasted national glory at the Copper Box Arena on Monday.
GB vice-captain Chris Ryan and Matt Hignett both played for London WRC Storm in the BT Wheelchair Rugby National Championships 2015.
The final saw a close encounter as Storm defeated London WRC Crusaders 45-43.
Speaking to the Welwyn Hatfield Times, Hignett said: “Winning in the first final I have competed in felt brilliant.
“Playing alongside Chris, the vice captain of GB, instills a winning mentality throughout the team and just breeds confidence.”
You may also want to watch:
Wheelchair Rugby is a Paralympic sport with GB hoping to qualify for Rio 2016 by finishing in the top two at the European Championships later this year.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 3 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 4 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 10 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'