British title for Potters Bar’s Toby Marlow in Freestyle Kayak Championship
- Credit: Archant
A teenager from Potters Bar has been crowned the British Men’s Junior Freestyle Kayak Champion.
Toby Marlow, a pupil at St Albans School and a member of St Albans & Hertsmere Canoe Club as well as Lee Valley Paddle Sport Club, was competing in the event at the National White Centre at Holme Pierrepoint in Nottingham.
And over the tricky twin wave course he beat the rest of the competition in a thrilling final.
Marlow was one of five finalists who each had three rides of 45 seconds to produce as many tricks as possible with a panel of judges marking the runs.
His first ride set the benchmark with 440 points and included moves with wonderful names such as space Godzilla, all of which are aerial end-on-end tumbles with spins and twists.
You may also want to watch:
It proved enough to take the title and is part of a long-term plan to lift the world crown when it comes to the UK in 2022.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge