British title for Potters Bar’s Toby Marlow in Freestyle Kayak Championship
- Credit: Archant
A teenager from Potters Bar has been crowned the British Men’s Junior Freestyle Kayak Champion.
Toby Marlow, a pupil at St Albans School and a member of St Albans & Hertsmere Canoe Club as well as Lee Valley Paddle Sport Club, was competing in the event at the National White Centre at Holme Pierrepoint in Nottingham.
And over the tricky twin wave course he beat the rest of the competition in a thrilling final.
Marlow was one of five finalists who each had three rides of 45 seconds to produce as many tricks as possible with a panel of judges marking the runs.
His first ride set the benchmark with 440 points and included moves with wonderful names such as space Godzilla, all of which are aerial end-on-end tumbles with spins and twists.
You may also want to watch:
It proved enough to take the title and is part of a long-term plan to lift the world crown when it comes to the UK in 2022.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 Girls of Potters Bar Crusaders happy with draw at hot Harpenden
- 10 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield