Golovkin firmly in Saunders' sights after Hatfield champ successfully retains crown
PUBLISHED: 14:08 19 September 2017 | UPDATED: 14:09 19 September 2017
PA Wire/PA Images
Billy Joe Saunders has issued a unification challenge to Gennady Golovkin after Hatfield's WBO middleweight world champion successfully defended his title at the Copper Box Arena in London against American Willie Monroe Jr.
That was just hours before GGG and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez fought to a controversial draw in Las Vegas.
Golovkin holds all the belts at middleweight bar Saunders’ WBO strap.
And the 28-year-old took to Twitter to offer the winner-takes-all bout to the Kazakhstan fighter.
He tweeted: “Weekend is out the way, back to good food today, back in camp next week.
“Golovkin, well done champ for Saturday. Are you ready? Because I am. All the belts.”
Saunders has wanted the unification clash since winning the title in 2015.
He had hoped that it would happen this December against the winner of the Vegas showdown until that ended in a draw.
Saunders’ promoter Frank Warren had previously described a fight with Golovkin in December as a “done deal”, but speaking on the BBC sport website, he said that “worst-case scenario, Bill will fight again against someone else in December”.
Saunders won on points on Saturday to stretch his unbeaten record to 25 fights.
It was a fight that failed to live up to the hype but one in which Saunders dominated, being scored ahead on all three scorecards; 117-111, 115-114 and 117-112.
It was his second successful defence and Saunders described his performance as a “big improvement” on his last defence, a defeat of Artur Akavov 10 months ago.
“There was stuff I wanted to try but if someone is running around on the back foot, it’s hard,” he said.
“Every time I wanted to meet him in the middle he would run, but I got the win and that’s the main thing.”