Datchworth and Baldock lock horns as competitive bowls returns
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Datchworth and Baldock are just two of the bowls club delighted at the return of the competitive side of their sport.
The clubs met at Baldock's green for a friendly with the hosts running out 84-45 winners.
All four triples went the way of Baldock, the biggest being a 31-8 success for P.Page, Dave Davies and Malcolm Ingram against Chris Hills, I.Williams and club skipper Stephen Arnold.
That rink was tight for five ends, with just one shot in it, before Baldock pulled clear.
Datchworth were on course for one rink success with Peter Hills' triple leading 17-11 with four ends to play. However, they lost all four to go down 19-17 to Steve Budge's team.
Datchworth had opened their season with the traditional, albeit curtailed slightly, president v captain contest.
Only 24 players were allowed on the green at any one time but there was still delight at playing once more, the result eventually going the way of the skipper as his team won by 65 shots to 42.
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 8 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 9 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week