Bowlers on fire as Datch continue perfect start to new season
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Datchworth put in a complete bowling performance to overcome Broxbourne 2nds and continue their perfect start to their SHL Division 3B campaign.
Losing the toss, the Villagers were in the field first, but restricted the home side to a mere 127.
George Wallace took 3-12, Steve Stroomer 2-14 and Michael Fisher with 3-14 did the Datchworth damage.
Despite losing Steve Gregory (7) early, Datchworth started their reply to the low total well and with some experienced batting from Stroomer (26) and an unbeaten 38 from Owen Dwyer, they reached Broxbourne’s meagre total within 36 overs.
Tom Bennett’s side have now won their opening two fixtures of Division 3B, and are already looking at a third successive promotion.
You may also want to watch:
Next up for Datchworth is a home encounter with seventh placed Sawbridgeworth 2nds on Saturday.
Liam Kenna’s knock of 90 helped Datchworth’s 2nds make it two Division 9B wins from two as they brushed aside Knebworth Park 4ths on Saturday.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 3 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 4 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 5 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 6 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 7 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 8 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
- 9 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 10 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
After winning the toss the home side elected to bat and despite some tight bowling from Sandy Reynolds and Mark Folwell, who removed Nigel Pointing early on, Datchworth looked comfortable.
Kenna and Lee Pybus (23) added 88 for the next wicket before a quick 17 from Chris Benton took the score to 135-3 with 20 overs left.
Kenna was removed by a fantastic slip catch for 90, with Will Nash departing for 29 with the score on 198.
Nitin Sahni’s rapid 55 together with support from Matt Budd (31 not out) finished the first innings at 277-7.
Knebworth never looked to be in the hunt as they started slowly against Ben Childs (1-16) and Martin Atkinson.
Matt Budd bowled a tidy seven overs (2-6) before Nitin Sahni (2-18) and Steve Nash (5-22) took regular wickets as Knebworth were removed for 84.
Datchworth 3rds suffered their first league defeat of the season as they were beaten by Letchworth Garden City 5ths in the Regional Division B East.
Datchworth skipper Jon Lancaster won the toss and chose to bat first, his side made 200-9 off 45 overs.
Opener Stuart Warrington made 47, but The Villagers innings had a pattern throughout with batsmen getting in and when trying to push the score along getting themselves out.
In reply Letchworth made easy work of the 201 run target. They chased it down with overs to spare.