Billy Joe's Cuban conqueror wins Olympic silver
THE man who knocked Hatfield hitter Billy Joe Saunders out of the Beijing Olympics has won silver in the welterweight division. Carlos Banteaux Suarez slipped to an 18-9 defeat in the final to Bakhy Sarsekbayev of Kazakhstan. The Cuban defeated Hoddesdon
THE man who knocked Hatfield hitter Billy Joe Saunders out of the Beijing Olympics has won silver in the welterweight division.
Carlos Banteaux Suarez slipped to an 18-9 defeat in the final to Bakhy Sarsekbayev of Kazakhstan.
The Cuban defeated Hoddesdon Boxing Academy fighter Billy Joe 13-6 on points in the second round to end the hopes for a medal for Herts in the boxing.
It was not without controversy, however, with Saunders disappointed that many of his body shots were not scored by the judges ringside.
You may also want to watch:
Saunders has not escaped the headlines since his exit from the Games, as he has recently been suspended by the ABA for an incident which occurred some months before the Olympics on a trip to France.
It remains to be seen what punishment, if any, will be handed out to the 18-year-old, but he may well take some pride in the fact that the man who ultimately ended his Beijing medal hunt made the final of his section.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 10 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
Following his defeat to Pan-American champion Suarez, GB head coach Terry Edwards said he believed Saunders' conqueror will "probably win gold."
But Sarsekbayev upset the odds and secured the gold medal.