Anti-semitic chanting mars Hertford Town v Welwyn Garden City derby

Non-league football from the Hunts Post.

Non-league football from the Hunts Post. - Credit: Archant

Anti-semitic chanting overshadowed the Hertford Town against Welwyn Garden City derby encounter at Hertingfordbury Park.

WGC won the away SSML Premier Division game tonight (Tuesday) 5-2, however the second half witnessed the ugly scene in the main stand with the song aimed towards the visitors.

Around the hour mark a mindless minority chose to chant an unacceptable anti-semitic song towards the visitors a couple of times.

Match report.

The clash started at a frantic pace with both sides having the ball in the net within 11 minutes, however Leigh Rose, for the hosts, and Josh Bronti, for the away team, were both adjudged offside.

On 13 minutes a high ball into the box saw WGC keeper Jamie Jackson and Leigh Rose collide before an altercation, leading to the majority of the players on the park descend into the City area, for which the pair were booked.

Hertford’s Jordon Watson went close to opening the scoring on 21 minutes, but lobbed over with just Jackson to beat.

Most Read

Then the referee briefly stopped play as something was thrown onto the pitch.

The deadlock was broken on the half-hour mark as WGC striker Ashley Kersey found Bronti in the box and he drove the ball past home keeper Harry Ricketts.

However, Town were given the chance to level shortly after following a clumsy WGC challenge in the area, but Louis Rose skied his effort well over Jackson’s goal.

With half-time looming WGC struck twice in three minutes to stun the hosts.

Firstly Craig Arnott sent Dave Parkinson away, he rounded Ricketts and fired in.

The number 11 was not finished as he then tucked home a low Bronti cross from close range.

Just a minute into the second half it was 4-0 as Bronti sent in a low ball from the left to Kersey who spun and prodded home.

The goals kept coming for the Citizens as Arnott this time sent Bronti through, the referee waved him onside, and he cheekily scooped the ball up over Ricketts and into the back of the net.

However,Hertford, who had manager Paul Halsey sent from the dugout, then introduced James Ewington and he made a difference to his side.

He had a goal chalked off for offside before lobbing Jackson to make the score 5-1.

Having used all their substitutes, WGC were forced to take off the injured Bronti and end with 10 men.

There was time for another Hertford substitute, Bradley Fraser, to grab another goal for 5-2, but seconds later Bronti and Hertford coach Michael Bardle clashed on the touchline with both sent-off before the referee brought an end to proceedings.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter