The final weekend of the East Hockey League season still had lots of promotion and relegation battles to conclude and Potters Bar and Welwyn Garden City were in action in some of them.

The men's third team at Potters Bar took the plaudits, a 7-0 demolition of second-placed Hertford giving them the Division Three South West title.

Aryan Walia finished with another three goals while there was two from Ben Cade and one each for Sam Penn and Nani Reddy.

The fourths are also going up, a 4-4 draw at Letchworth good enough to confirm second place in Division Seven. Josh Becker got a double in this one with the others from Andy Latham and Matt Fretter.

The firsts were already safe when they started their Division One South game with Colchester, courtesy of results elsewhere.

And that perhaps impacted their performance as they lost 1-0 to basement club Colchester.

They finished their season seventh in the table while the seconds finish sixth, their final game a 2-1 win over Letchworth thanks to a last-minute goal from George McCormick.

Warren Edmondson had equalised earlier in the contest.

The club also held their annual awards later that evening, chairman Paul Brady and ladies' captain Kate Fitton doing the honours.

Brady spoke of a "remarkable season" with more players appearing this year than since 2020, the return of the ladies' side and a best ever aggregate finish for the men's section combined.

The player awards for the four men's teams and the ladies went to Hugh Kenney-Herbert, Ajay Patel, Ben Berndes-Cade, Scott Alexander and Shayna Godin while the top scorers were Mark Turpin, Edmondson, Walia, Alexander and Nikki Hughes.

Jackie Correa and Adrian Clargo were named best newcomers while the most improved trio, the men's award shared, were Patricia Bruno, Matt Fretter and Gabriel Banzuelo.

Welwyn Hatfield Times: Dave Allmand-Smith scored twice for WGC. Picture: DANNY LOO PHOTOGRAPHYDave Allmand-Smith scored twice for WGC. Picture: DANNY LOO PHOTOGRAPHY (Image: Danny Loo Photography)

Welwyn Garden City's men brought the curtain down on their season with a 4-3 loss away to Luton Town in Division Two South West but skipper Dan Klinger was still proud of their performances, "often playing with no subs and with injuries and availability issues to contend with".

The last game started horribly, going two down inside five minutes, but there was a good recovery through the rest of the half.

Bryn Evans, Nick Reilly and Dan White started to get on the ball more and as the half-time interval approached, a good run from Will Reilly forced a short corner and somehow the ball reached Dave Allmand-Smith with his back to goal who delivered a backhand smash for 2-1.

Welwyn started the second half boosted by that goal and after making all the running in the early stages, they drew level through Teddy May, benefiting after great work by Dan Hatt.

It got even better after that as a marauding run from Pete Mullens allow Allmand-Smith to supply a cool finish and make it 3-2 to the visitors.

A lightning break from the restart brought an instant reply from Luton though and ultimately helped them to victory.

Some great defending by Rob Sansom and Stuart Stephen at the heart of the defence kept Luton at bay and Klinger made some great saves, but Luton would get their reward from a short corner with 10 minutes to go.

The second team drew 1-1 with Rickmansworth but finish second from bottom of Division Four but there was a 3-0 win for the fourths over the same opposition in Division Seven.

The women's first team also won in Division Two, the 4-3 success at Bishop's Stortford lifting them off the bottom and above the east Herts side.