The men's first team at Welwyn Garden City came close to a memorable result in the East Hockey League.

Playing away to Division Two South West leaders Blueharts, the Hertfordshire Sports Village club had turned round at half-time one goal to the good before slipping to a late 2-1 defeat.

They went missing three key players from the spine of the team and the game started as expected, with the Hitchin side having the vast majority of possession.

The longer the half wore on though, the more WGC looked likely to keep the hosts out.

Led by the back four of James Fowler, Dan White, Peter Mullens and James Lutrario, they kept Blueharts frustrated and started to create more breaks of their own.

One such break saw Nate Last pounce on a long ball out of defence and drive down the right wing, crossing for Bilal Hassan to score with a neat reverse flick.

An early equaliser at the start of the second half brought Blueharts level, Fowler and Dan Hatt colliding as they looked to bring the ball out of defence and the break of the ball favouring the home side.

But Welwyn continued to play well, winning most of the 50-50 contests and midfielders Nick Reilly, Stuart Stephens, Paul Marchant, Teddy May and Hatt seeing plenty of the ball.

When they weren't on the break though, they had Dan Klinger in goal to Dan Klinger was there to make the save.

In the end though, pressure from Blueharts paid off and a quick free hit caught WGC out of position.

Potters Bar's teams were mostly back in action although the men's first team continued their disappointing few weeks with a second defeat.

They had lost 4-1 to bottom of the table Colchester one week earlier while Saturday's game saw third-placed St Albans beat them 5-1 at Oaklands College.

On both occasions the late consolation goal was scored by Mark Turpin.

The seconds have had a disappointing year so far but got a welcome 3-1 win today away to Rickmansworth with George Wickham, Warren Edmondson and George McCormick the men on target.

The thirds were given the points and a 5-0 win when Rickmansworth conceded their match due to a lack of numbers.

The fourths played the late game at Dame Alice Owen's School against Division Seven South West leaders Shefford & Sandy and continued their excellent recent run with a 3-1 victory.

Liam Frame got two and Josh Becker one as they moved second.

The ladies secured a 2-0 win at home to Chiltern with Lee-Jane Yates getting both of the goals.