Rain provided the back drop to the early hockey matches on Saturday while floodlights were turned on way ahead of time to alleviate the gloom of the later games.

Potters Bar's ladies were one of the early starters at Dame Alice Owens and while they got the better of the light, they were playing in rain.

They still managed to claim a victory though in Division Seven, winning 2-1 against Shefford & Sandy with Nikki Hughes getting both goals.

The men's first team had a frustrating afternoon against Harpenden.

They were 1-0 up thanks to a Jay Jay Burn goal and looking comfortable with seven minutes to go.

They had played the final 57 minutes though with the bare 11 men after a nasty cut sustained by Graham Abrey and that eventually took its toll as two goals in a minute gave Harpenden the 2-1 win.

The seconds were away to Blueharts and played three quarters of the match in Hitchin with just 10 men.

That meant the final score of 3-3 was greeted with much elation.

George McCormick, Warren Edmondson and Louis Anastasiou got the Bar goals.

The thirds kept on rolling in Division Four South West, running out 6-0 winners away to Harpenden thanks to goals from Aryan Walia (three), Ben Cade (two) and Simon Kelly.

They are second in the table.

The fourths meanwhile were indebted to a number of saves from Mo Umney, as well as surviving five successive short corners at the end of the match, to secure a 0-0 draw with Bishop's Stortford.

Welwyn Hatfield Times: Skipper Dan Klinger in action for Welwyn Garden City. Picture: DANNY LOO PHOTOGRAPHYSkipper Dan Klinger in action for Welwyn Garden City. Picture: DANNY LOO PHOTOGRAPHY (Image: Danny Loo Photography)

Welwyn Garden City ladies' second team locked horns with old adversaries Stevenage in their Division Three clash.

The pair had battled all through last season with WGC finally claiming the title on the final day.

Both were promoted though and this time it was Stevenage who took the spoils, winning 2-0 with a goal in each half, although in truth, there was still little between them.

The firsts won 3-2 at Broxbourne though with the thirds also beating the east Herts club, this time 2-0.

The fourths went down 5-1 to Blueharts though.

In the men's section, there was a vital 3-2 win for the first team at home to Bedford, their second of the season which lifted them up to ninth.

The seconds and thirds had less fun, losing 7-2 at Royston and 3-0 against Hertford respectively, although the fourths fought to a 1-1 draw at Broxbourne.