Welwyn came out with the bragging rights after claiming a derby success at Datchworth.

They won 24-18 in Counties One Herts Middlesex, lifting them to eighth in the table, two places and seven points above their hosts.

It was a perfect day for it too and both sides were at their best to entertain the good-sized crowd.

It was Welwyn who enjoyed the better start playing down the slight slope with a try after 10 minutes, Anton Denton powering his way over and Brendon Marume adding the extras.

Datchworth narrowed the gap with two well-struck penalties by winger James Wilson while Welwyn’s hard working flanker, Harry Slade, spent 10 minutes in the sin bin for a high tackle.

But on the stroke of half time, Marume jinked through the Datchworth defence to score close to the posts and the sides changed ends with the visitors ahead 12-6.

The lead went out further, 10 minutes into the second half, with Denton again to the fore.

He made inroads into the Datchworth defence, creating space for Absolom Makoni to crash over close to the posts.

The conversion extended the visitors’ lead to 13 but Datchworth came flying back with a solid response.

A quick-tap penalty from 20 metres out was abruptly stopped by Makoni's tackle on Wilson, the referee hitting Welwyn with the expected yellow card and penalty try.

They survived that 10 minutes spell though and scored from a fine move, Jake Riley going over in the corner after Marume and Fin Sutherland created the space.

The conversion fell just short and the Men in Green made it a nervy final five minutes for the travelling Welwyn support when Connor Sullivan scored out wide.

They stood firm though for the points.

Head coach Gareth Hughes said: "It was great to come out on the right side of the result.

"Visiting Datchworth is always one of the hardest fixtures of the season and this was no different. 

"The lads played well in patches and overall just about deserved the win.”

Welwyn take on Finchley at home on Saturday with Datchworth going to Hackney.