Welwyn Garden City crashed out of the Herts Senior Challenge Cup away to Sawbridgeworth Town.

City had made nine changes from the side that had drawn 0-0 with neighbours Hertford Town just a few days before and they had taken the lead through Josh Bryant.

However, the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division side, cemented to the foot of the table with just three draws from their 10 games, fought back to win 2-1, sending the Citizens to a second county cup exit against lower-ranked opposition.

Manager Marc Weatherstone gave the night off to seven of his regulars, including James Kaloczi, Brad Wadkins and Dernell Wynter.

Only keeper Charlie Crowley and central defender Josh Steele retained their positions from the Southern League draw against their neighbours.

WGC could have fallen behind early but Wade Adedeji failed to capitalise on Adam Pollock's loss of possession.

And after an otherwise uneventful opening 10 minutes, WGC opened the scoring with a memorable goal.

Yasin Boodhoo’s high ball found left-back Bryant and he cut inside and away from a couple of challenges before unleashing an unstoppable effort over the keeper and into the top corner.

Bailey Stevenson then hit a powerful 20 yarder just past the near post and Henry Jones escaped two challenges to shoot and force Ethan Gannon into a low save.

But just as they were looking to take full control, Sawbo stunned them with an equaliser as unstoppable as the opening goal, Danny Palmer smashing a rising effort beyond Crowley.

It could have been even worse for WGC by the interval, Crowley having to make a brave block to keep out Austen Garrod’s effort.

Welwyn tried to start the second half on the front foot and Jones may have scored if not for a misjudged header.

But despite lots of possession, they couldn’t fashion much more in the way of chances, although Jones did have one effort ruled out for offside.

And just when a penalty shoot-out looked inevitable, Sawbo broke away and when a set piece again wasn’t cleared, Wesley dos Santos squeezed his shot in at the near post.


WGC are next in action away to Biggleswade Town on Tuesday.

WGC: Crowley, Z.Brown, Boodhoo, Steele (Harris 46), Bryant, Pollock, Marquez (Vasey 68), F.Brown, Stevenson, Jones, Martins (Kessel 68).

Subs (not used): Mulley, Weatherstone.