Another bright start to a match ended in disappointment from Welwyn as they fell to defeat away to Ruislip.

Their attempts to play open and quick rugby were thwarted too often by the hosts who focused on their strong pack and benefitted from a number of line-outs in the Welwyn 22.

There wasn't even the consolation of a bonus point for the visitors as they went down 31-14 in Counties One Herts Middlesex.

Having spent the majority of the first quarter in Ruislip’s half, Welwyn conceded a try when the ball was kicked towards the corner for their winger to outpace the covering defence, snap it up and score.

To rub salt into the wound, that was converted and it proved to be the only score of the first half.

Welwyn though had an excellent start to the second period.

The kick-off saw Fin Sutherland taken out in the air as he caught the ball and the Ruislip player receive a yellow card.

And using the man advantage, Welwyn pushed forward and got back on level terms, Brendon Marume stepping through a gap to score with Chris Kemp adding the extras.

And just as the 10 minute sin-bin was due to expire, Welwyn scored again.

Returning captain, Josh Milton, ran a fantastic line to break the Ruislip defence and his off-load sent Vetaia Kawea under the posts.

Another conversion from Kemp and suddenly Welwyn were 14-7 to the good.

A mistake from Welwyn gave Ruislip a five metre line-out on but the defence did enough to prevent a try, although they did concede three from a penalty.

Ruislip make no mistake shortly after, rumbling a catch and drive over the line that was again converted, and while Welwyn continued to try to play expansive rugby and apply pressure, an attempted clearance after another close range line-out was charged down for a third converted try.

The home side's bonus point score came near the end to give them a slightly bigger buffer than perhaps they deserved.

Welwyn head back to Hobbs Lane on Saturday when they host Hitchin.

Datchworth will be at home to Old Streetonians that day, looking to bounce back from a 54-7 loss at Chiswick.