Welwyn Garden City became the latest side unable to stop Bedford Town's charge at the top of the table - but there were some positives for manager Marc Weatherstone.

City lost 3-1 in the Southern League Division One Central game at the Pexhurst Stadium, a result that made it six wins from six for the Eagles.

Bedford were two goals to the good at half-time, former Citizen Ben Spaul among the scorers, and despite Brad Wadkins pulling one back in the second half, a third 14 minutes from time robbed them of a chance of getting a point.

It leaves WGC fourth from bottom with one win and one draw from seven games, and the boss was philosophical about their position.

He said: "There were slight improvements but I keep saying that every game to be fair.

"They were the better team and are good at what they do, not massively pretty on the eye but ruthless.

"When you're 2-0 down, it is easy to come out and have no fear and have nothing to lose.

"But I said that at the start, we have nothing to fear in any game.

"The second half was better, the front three came into the game and it was a great goal from Brad.

"It was a naïve third goal on our part but once we get a win, we'll get two or three."

Welwyn Hatfield Times: Cyrus Babaie made his first start since returning to WGC. Picture: LINDA BABAIECyrus Babaie made his first start since returning to WGC. Picture: LINDA BABAIE (Image: Linda Babaie)

Bedford had started well and had the ball in the net on five minutes, the offside flag ruling out Lewis Green's header.

And that was that for a very forgettable opening 25 minutes until Lynton Goss put Bedford ahead by turning in a Louis Walsh cross.

Spaul made it two on the stroke of half-time but Welwyn had barely offered a threat in the first 45, not registering a single shot on target in the opening half.

There was slight improvement in the early minutes of the second-half, but in general, the game seemed to be meandering to an inevitable conclusion until the 66th minute.

WGC confirmed their own improvement by forcing a series of corners and from one of these, Wadkins capped his man-of-the-match display with a clever header that eluded Bedford’s largely untroubled keeper Mark Smith.

For the only time, Bedford became a bit anxious and Weatherstone tried to capitalize by introducing Henry Jones for an ineffective Bailey Stevenson.

But the brief revival was soon snuffed out by a controversial Bedford third on 76 minutes.

The dangerous Walsh cut in from the left, slipped two challenges and fired in a tricky shot.

WGC keeper Donnabhan Green made the save, but was caught by Walsh in the follow-up, before the Bedford winger rolled the rebound in.

WGC’s bench and many in the crowd thought the referee would award a foul, but instead the goal was given, the challenge ruled an accidental clash.

Green continued after lengthy treatment but that was the points decided.

WGC had one last effort, deep into stoppage time, James Kaloczi’s fine pass finding Zac Brown racing through from full-back.

He struck a fierce drive that forced Smith into his first real save of the game but moments later the final whistle sounded.

WGC: Green, Brown, Kaloczi, Olagunju, Kirwan, Mulley, Pollock (Kessel 86), Wadkins, Stevenson (Jones 69), Babaie, Wynter.

Subs (not used): Marquez, Martins, Tring.