Welwyn Garden City produced their best display of the season as they battled to a draw at home to Cirencester Town.

That was the verdict of City boss Marc Weatherstone who saw his side come from behind to draw 1-1 in the Southern League Division One Central clash, before surviving the final 25 minutes with 10 men after the dismissal of Yasin Boodhoo.

The red card was the third in their five league games with the skipper being sent off for being last man in a tangle with Cirencester forward Luca Robinson.

But the fact that WGC were able to battle to a point was in many ways due to an outstanding goalkeeping display from debutant keeper Donnabhan Green.

With Charlie Crowley unavailable for a fortnight as he climbs Mount Kilimanjaro for charity, Green took his chance with both hands.

His inclusion, plus debuts for new signings defender Manny Olagunju and Ruben Marquez, both signed this week, saw Weatherstone field a much changed outfit from the side beaten 5-3 by Basildon United in the FA Trophy a fortnight ago.

Bailey Stevenson headed WGC’s first chance over on seven minutes before skying an effort over the bar after cleverly slipping round two Cirencester defenders.

Their sharp start was rocked on 20 minutes when their Gloucestershire visitors were awarded a penalty, new boy Olagunju fouling the dangerous Robinson.

Green reprieved his new teammate with a fingertip save to keep out Harry Burns’ spot-kick.

There was further controversy eight minutes later, when Cirencester’s Roger James did great work in getting around several WGC defenders to cross to the back post.

Charlie McCrae headed goalward and Green seemed to pull off a marvellous save.

However, consultation with the linesman saw the goal awarded due to the ball having crossed the line.

The half ended with excitement at both ends.

Green made another fine stop to keep out Regan Messenger’s well struck effort while only the outstretched leg of Cirencester defender Charlie Johnson foiled Dernell Wynter from firing into a gaping goal.

WGC began the second-half as lively as in the first and within five minutes of the restart, they struck the Cirencester woodwork.

A good ball from Olagunju found Wynter and he in turn set up Brad Wadkins, the post doing what veteran keeper Stuart Nelson couldn't.

And the disappointment lasted just six minutes.

A break down the left saw Stevenson cut inside and square to Wynter. He again set up Wadkins and this time he blazed a beautifully struck effort beyond Nelson and into the top corner.

Six minutes later Boodhoo's red card forced an adjustment and seemed to put the point in doubt.

In reality though chances were at a minimum with Cirencester's best attempt coming in the fifth minute of stoppage time.

Sub Nick Peare put over a deep cross where fellow replacement Dan Grieve met it with a header aimed for the far corner.

Star man Green though took off to make a tremendous save, tipping it onto the far post.

And after an almighty scramble, WGC cleared, to maintain a hard-earned point.

They are back at home for thenxt two games, against AFC Dunstable tomorrow night (Tuesday) and against Bedford Town on Saturday.

WGC: Green, Brown, Boodhoo, Olagunju, Kirwan, Kaloczi, Marquez (Jones 71), Kessel (Mulley 52), Stevenson, Wadkins, Wynter.

Subs (not used): Pollock, Martins, Steele.