Welwyn Garden City and Potters Bar Town put their pre-season programmes behind them as the start of the league season looms.

The Citizens almost ended the campaign with an away victory, Bowers & Pitsea making it 1-1 with just 10 minutes to go from the penalty spot.

WGC had led from 66 minutes thanks to a Dernell Wynter goal.

That came from an Ethan Kessel corner, the striker poking in a rebound after a Ryan Doherty header had not been held.

But the equaliser came after a cross from the left caused panic in the visiting box, Zac Brown bringing Tosan Popo down.

Ben Williamson did what was needed but only just, as WGC's Donnaphan Green guessed the right way and almost got his hand to it.

The young trialist keeper, who began with National League Boreham Wood’s academy, was one of the WGC successes on the afternoon, giving a very confident performance between the posts in place of the unavailable Charlie Crowley.

Manager Marc Weatherstone was also missing five other first-team squad players for this final warm-up.

Brad Wadkins (knee), James Kaloczi (leg), Bailey Stevenson (shoulder) and ankle victims Alex Harris and Jack Vasey, were all not risked and the Pexhurst Stadium boss will hope to have at least a couple of them fit to start the Southern League Division Central campaign at home to Biggleswade on Saturday.

Harris, as well as Sam Tring, were confirmed as new signings in the week.

He is a Welwyn boy and former skipper of their youth team, re-joining his home-town club after three years in the USA, where he studied and played college football in both Iowa and West Virginia.

His return earlier this year saw he join former WGC manager Nick Ironton at Walthamstow.

Tring meanwhile came through a trial this summer and joins up again with Weatherstone, who was his boss at Wingate & Finchley.

He also played with Kings Langley and Northwood.

Potters Bar meanwhile ended their pre-season with a 3-1 loss away to Biggleswade Town.

Ryan Hervel got their goal and also hit the post.

The Scholars did win the Herts Charity Cup, setting up a semi-final with Cheshunt, after beating Ware 8-7 on penalties, the game having finished 1-1.

They have announced three new signings too.

Finn Rushton is a young goalkeeper who previously played for Wingate & Finchley’s youth team.

The 20-year-old, who played for Marlow as well last year, has been brought in as back-up but manager Max Mitchell believes he can grab his chance.

He said: "Finn is a young goalkeeper who has high potential, his distribution is one of his main assets, he’s shown a great attitude in training and games so far.

"I want him to push himself this season in training as a young goalkeeper and compete for a shirt."

Joining him at the Lantern Stadium is striker Anthony Mendy, coming in from Uxbridge, while defender Valckx Fernandes comes from Bowers & Pitsea.

One league that has got going is the Spartan South Midlands League and AFC Welwyn, a newly formed club, started with an 8-1 win in Division Two at home to MK Irish Res.

Charlee Yearwood scored five of them with Kendall Ata Gyamfi getting a double and Josh Grantham one.

Codicote drew 1-1 with Aston Clinton, Jarred Isles scoring for Cod.