Welwyn made great use of their relationship with Harpenden for the second time this season to not only get their game with Enfield Ignatians on but by recording another big win at Redbourn Lane.

With their Hobbs Way home frozen solid, Welwyn travelled to the artificial pitch at Harps and returned with a 52-12 success in Counties One Herts Middlesex. 

The two sides had played out a tight contest in October, edged 30-24 by Enfield, but there was never any likelihood of a repeat as a strong Welwyn ripped them apart.

A good number of spectators made the trip over to Harpenden at short notice and were rewarded with an excellent performance by the Welwyn team, featuring eight tries and a dominant performance.

Fin Sutherland got three of them and there was two for Brendon Marume as the Welwyn backs showed off their running skills on the surface.

The visitors started well and looked a real threat in the early exchanges but it was Welwyn who got their noses in front first, Vetaia Kawea powering over on 15 minutes and Marume landing the conversion as well.

Five minutes later Kawea was the architect for Sutherland's first, scoring out wide, and almost straight from the kick off, Welwyn had their third try.

A well-judged grubber kick from Marume went through the Enfield defence and bounced up beautifully for the centre to gather without breaking stride.

He went under the posts and then kicked the extras to give Welwyn a 19-0 lead after a little more than 20 minutes.

The bonus point score arrived with five minutes remaining in the half, another Welwyn break splintering the Enfield defence and Marume using his pace to touch down in the corner.

An excellent touchline conversion from Chris Kemp rebounded over the upright and over the bar to make it 26-0 and there was still time for a fifth try before the break.

Welwyn moved the ball from side to side in search of a gap in the visitors’ defence which eventually presented itself to Sutherland.

He scored out wide but this time the conversion was missed.

It had still been a tremendous half for the whatever the chat was inside the Enfield huddle during the interval, it obviously hit a nerve as Ignatians were a different side immediately after the restart.

Two tries narrowed the gap to 31-12 and for a moment there seemed hope of a sensational comeback.

That though was nipped in the bud as the final 15 minutes were dominated by Welwyn.

The experienced Rob Picken crashed over close to the posts and then substitute Jack Cotterell rounded off a lovely move to extend Welwyn’s lead to 45-12, Kemp landing both converting kicks with lovely swings of the boot.

And just like the opening 40 minutes, the half came to a close with Sutherland crossing the whitewash to complete his treble and bring up the 50, with Kemp adding the cherry on top of the cake with the extras.

The result has Welwyn one point behind Hitchin in sixth, the pair sitting alone in the middle of the table.

Welwyn will be on their travels again on Saturday although this time they will be the away side as they go to Hackney.