Worried Potters Bar mum urges skaters to wear helmets after son is knocked unconscious in fall
PUBLISHED: 09:38 23 September 2016
A Potters Bar mum has thanked the strangers who rushed to her seven-year-old son’s aid when he fell over and hit his head at a skate park.
Rene Williams, 36, of Cambridge Drive, took her son Joshua and her five-year-old daughter to the skate park at Furzefield Leisure Centre after school on Tuesday, September 13.
Joshua, who goes to Cranborne Primary School, fell and lost consciousness, and other children, parents and staff at the leisure centre all gathered to help and call an ambulance.
Rene, who is a student and stay-at-home mum, said: “I had gone around the corner with my daughter and my friends were watching the boys.
“They called me to say that he had fallen, and as I was going to the skate park my friend said someone was on the phone to the ambulance. At that point I was in total shock.
“Just to see him lying there unconscious, it was any mother’s worst nightmare. It was a shock to the system.
“The young boys had stayed there and then went to call for help. None of them, including my son, wore a helmet.”
The Furzefield Leisure Centre receptionist fetched her line manager, who came out with a first aid kit.
An ambulance took Joshua to Barnet Hospital, where he was given a CAT scan and stayed for 24 hours for observation. He has now fully recovered and is back at school.
“So many random people came out of nowhere,” Rene said. “They were just parents who were bringing their kids to the football.
“It was really, really nice. It’s nice to know you can rely on people.
“I would like to thank Katherine and Matt from Furzefield Leisure Centre for calming the situation and treating it seriously.
“A dad who is a firefighter came over to help. Thanks also to the young local Potters Bar boys in the park, particularly Tommy, Ben, Matt, Johann, Jordan, Sebby and others. I don’t know their names.
“My friend Sally called the ambulance and Nesha watched my daughter in the midst of the mayhem. Thanks for everyone’s prayers, well-wishes and support.
“I would also just like to stress the importance of kids using the skate park to have fun while wearing their helmets.
“I am so grateful because it could have been worse.”
“My husband Gary and I are so appreciative to all of the Potters Bar community, the paramedics Vickie and David and the staff at Barnet Hospital and our church who prayed non-stop.
“Joshua was certainly very well taken care of by everyone involved and is one lucky boy.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.