Work underway for new Hatfield community centre
WORK is under way to build a new youth and community centre – the second of its kind in Times Territory.
This week, the ground floor of Queensway House in Hatfield town centre was being refurbished in preparation for the arrival of the new Space community centre, run by Central Herts YMCA.
Once completed, Hatfield Space will become the YMCA’s second Space centre, following on from the successful pilot scheme run from Church Road in WGC.
The Space project provides a safe place for young and old people to meet, chat and learn new skills, through programmes of activities and opportunities.
It aims to reduce anti-social behaviour and social isolation and increase community and personal development.
You may also want to watch:
Robin Webb, chief executive of YMCA Central Herts, said: “This is a really exciting development and we are delighted to be able to bring Space here for the people of Hatfield to enjoy.”
Work is due to be completed later this month, with an opening ceremony scheduled for early October.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Thanks Dad! WHT readers send 2,500 Father's Day messages
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
The total cost of the work is around �190,000, with �110,000 being supplied thanks to grants from Hertfordshire County Council, the Welwyn Hatfield Alliance and the Domestic Violence Forum.
The remaining �80,000 needs to be raised from voluntary donations and fundraising.
Mr Webb said: “We still need a significant amount of money to complete the work so are asking businesses and the local community to get behind this project and make a donation in any way they can.”
You can make a donation by calling the Central Herts YMCA Fundraising Team on 01707 290717.