Woman in 50s ‘punched and thrown on floor’ in Welwyn Garden City attack
- Credit: Archant
A woman has been left traumatized after she was punched and thrown to the floor while walking her dog in WGC.
The 54-year-old, who wished to remain unnamed, told the WHT she was walking near Panshanger airfield off Hilly Fields when two Staffies bounded over and jumped on her springer spaniel.
She said: “I pulled the little one off by his collar and held on to it so he couldn’t go back, and then the next minute a guy has come over to me and I felt a whack on my neck.
“He then started being verbally abusive, saying don’t do anything to my dog, literally squaring up to me.”
The thug and another man he was with then continued arguing with her, the victim claimed, while two women stood laughing next to three children.
You may also want to watch:
The victim then called the police, but when the group began to walk away, she claimed the operator asked if she could get a photo of her attacker.
She said: “As I’m holding the camera up to take the picture he’s grabbed the phone out of my hand, launched it in the field and then grabbed hold of me by the arms and thrown me to the floor and said ‘good luck with the police’.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 10 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
“I think it’s fair to say I was in shock, and once it had all finished I was crying.
“I do feel tearful when I think about it. I’m grateful that my dog didn’t get hurt but I haven’t gone to work today, I just feel like I need to have a bit of a rest.
“Last night I was absolutely drained by it.”
Following the assault, which happened yesterday (Sunday) at around 11.30am, the victim’s husband said he was still furious and warned other dog-walkers to be wary.
“For a man to come up and hit a woman, then throw her to the ground, ridicule her, swear at her – unprovoked really as she was just pulling a dog off her dog – to me that’s not a man,” he told the WHT.
“He should have just got his dogs under control and moved off, there was no need for any violence, my wife did nothing that could justify it.”
The attacker is described as 5ft 8ins, stocky, around 30 years old with unshaven facial hair and was wearing a navy blue hooded jacket with jeans.
The other man was 6ft, clean shaven with short light-coloured hair and was wearing jeans with a grey puffer jacket. One of the women, who had a dark purple pram, was wearing a black jacket with a grey fur hood.
A police spokeswoman said officers are investigating and urged anyone with information to call 101, quoting ISR 462 of December 10.