Win steam train journey for two on the Cumbrian Mountain Express special
FANCY experiencing the age of steam trains?Well Heritage rail travel operator The Railway Touring Company is organising a special day out to the ancient border city of Carlisle.The trip next month takes in the famous Settle and Carlisle line en route, a
FANCY experiencing the age of steam trains?
Well Heritage rail travel operator The Railway Touring Company is organising a special day out to the ancient border city of Carlisle.
The trip next month takes in the famous Settle and Carlisle line en route, and we have four pairs of Premier Dining tickets, each pair worth �378, to give away to the lucky winners of our Cumbrian Mountain Steam Competition.
The Cumbrian Mountain Express departs on Saturday, May 9 and promises a great day out with all the excitement of steam travel in addition to a fascinating destination.
You may also want to watch:
Passengers will step aboard the lovingly-restored 1950s vintage carriages of The Cumbrian Mountain Express at stops, including London King's Cross, Stevenage, Huntingdon and Peterborough, and then sit back to enjoy a nostalgic trip reliving the golden age of rail travel.
At Doncaster, The Express will be joined by the powerful steam locomotive 6201 Princess Elizabeth before heading for Settle.
- 1 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 2 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 3 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 6 Even more pics of fun in the snow in Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 8 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 9 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
- 10 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
This steam giant will make the steady climb through Settle with the peaks of Pen-y-ghent, Ingleborough and Whernside dominating the landscape.
The breathtaking Settle and Carlisle line has 20 major viaducts and 14 tunnels, culminating in the truly spectacular 24-arch Ribblehead Viaduct.
At Carlisle, there will be time to explore the castle, cathedral or shops before The Express heads homewards diesel-hauled via the scenic line to Newcastle following the Tyne Valley from where it will race southwards.
If you would like to be in with a chance of winning an unforgettable journey on the Cumbrian Mountain Express special on May 9, then all you have to do is answer this simple question:
How many arches does the famous Ribblehead Viaduct have?
To enter send your answer on a postcard to: Steam Journey Competition, Web Editor, Archant Herts & Cambs, Bank House, Primett Road, Stevenage, Herts, SG1 3EE.
Remember ton include your name, address and a daytime contact number.
The competition closes on April 27. Winners will be chosen at random from all the correct entries received before this date.
The four pairs of premier dining tickets are valid for use on May 9 only.
Normal Archant rules apply.
More details of this and other trips are available from The Railway Touring Company on 01553 661500 or at www.railwaytouring.co.uk.