Welwyn student to trek in aid of ‘Memphis Belle’ Flying Fortress
A FUND set up to help rejuvenate one of Europe’s most iconic aircraft will receive a boost, thanks to the efforts of a youngster from Times Territory.
On August 7, 12-year-old Charlie Savident will walk 25 miles from his home in Oaklands to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, Cambridgeshire, to raise money for the ongoing restoration of Sally B, the continent’s last flying Boeing B17 Flying Fortress.
The aircraft, which has flown out of Duxford for the last 35 years, is most famous for playing Memphis Belle in the eponymous 1990 movie and is seen all over Europe at air shows each year.
However, she has had serious technical issues over the last two years and desperately needs cash to keep her flying.
Charlie, a year seven pupil at Sherrardswood School in Welwyn, told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “I got involved with the Sally B through Ken Reed, one of her engineers who knows my grandma and grandad.
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t do anything to help like cleaning and helping carry things because it is a specialist team but when the 2010 anniversary appeal was launched I thought this was the perfect way to help, so dad and me looked how far it was from home to Duxford.
“It’s 25 miles, which is a long way, but I’ve done a couple of 10-mile walks so I should be ok.”
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Four councillors elected to South Mimms Parish Council
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
He added: “I have had loads of support – even people who I have only met once have donated.
“My target was �500 but I am now aiming for �1,000.”
To support Charlie, click on either of the links, right.
All donations should be marked Charlie’s Sally B Stomp.