Welwyn resident remembered
TRIBUTES have been paid to a prominent former Welwyn resident, who died in Spain last month. Brenda Meredith, pictured left, lived in Reynards Road for 20 years, before retiring to Marbella at the turn of the century. An amateur artist and publishing
TRIBUTES have been paid to a prominent former Welwyn resident, who died in Spain last month.
Brenda Meredith, pictured left, lived in Reynards Road for 20 years, before retiring to Marbella at the turn of the century.
An amateur artist and publishing industry professional, she was also a Conservative activist who helped Lord Balniel become Welwyn and Hatfield MP in 1974.
Mrs Meredith was also chairman of WGC Tangent Club between 1998 and 2000.
You may also want to watch:
Her many interests included current affairs, travel and fashion as well as art - indeed, she was thought to be a descendant of the influential painter Sir Joshua Reynolds.
Son Richard, a travel author, described his mum as a "well-loved" lady.
- 1 Film crews spotted in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Bridgerton: First look at Kate Sharma in season two of Netflix drama
- 8 Nature migrations: Ospreys and other migrant visitors to Panshanger Park
- 9 Welwyn Garden Cup off on another cup adventure after dramatic FA Trophy win over Hythe
- 10 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
"She was full of life and loved life," he said.
And with a smile, the 60-year-old added: "She was able to mix with dustmen and duchesses."
Close friend Margaret Bessey, from Oaklands, described Brenda as "effervescent" and said she would be "very much missed".
"When you walked into the room she took over," Margaret recalled.
Another pal, Kate Green, reminisced: "She had a magnetic personality and left laughter wherever she went.
"That is how we will always remember her."
Brenda Margaret Meredith died from respiratory failure in Malaga on August 20.
She was in her late 70s although she always refused to reveal her exact age, even to her family.
Brenda leaves behind her brothers Peter and Michael and sons Richard and Nicholas, together with four grandchildren.
A memorial event for friends and family will take place in Welwyn later this year.