Welwyn pub blaze chefs hailed heroes
TWO chefs have been dubbed heroes after dramatically rescuing a man during a huge blaze at an historic coaching inn in Welwyn. More than 50 firefighters attended the inferno at the 14th century pub and restaurant, The Wellington, in High Street, in the
TWO chefs have been dubbed "heroes" after dramatically rescuing a man during a huge blaze at an historic coaching inn in Welwyn.
More than 50 firefighters attended the inferno at the 14th century pub and restaurant, The Wellington, in High Street, in the early hours of Tuesday.
Jollan D'souza and Ade Aderibidge, who live in the flats above the pub, kicked down the door of a fellow resident and chef, David Bennett, just after 4.15am when the fire started.
Mr D'souza, aged 22, singed parts of his hair during the rescue.
You may also want to watch:
He told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times: "I woke up and the fire alarm was going off.
"I was told there was still someone stuck upstairs; I just wanted to get him out of there.
- 1 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 2 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 5 Investigation to take place into contact social services had with Christie Frewin before her murder
- 6 Puddingstone Distillery launches new Ultrasonic gin to help Herts charity protect bats
- 7 Reis Suart becomes first county champion from Welwyn Garden City in over three decades
- 8 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 9 Student union apologises after controversial ‘Solidarity with Palestine’ post
- 10 Mother speaks out after garden centre breastfeeding dispute 'mishandled at every stage'
"Me and Ade went upstairs and banged on his door.
"We couldn't get him up so we both kicked the door down and got him out."
Mr D'souza added: "I couldn't see a thing, it was full of smoke."
Firefighters believe an electrical fault was to blame for the blaze.