Welwyn mechanics forced to move after 22 years
- Credit: Archant
A family-owned garage in Welwyn is having to leave the yard it has occupied for 22 years.
The Monk family of mechanics, who have run their Autoline business from School Lane since 1992, were told last month by their landlord Mark Quinlan to leave by May 31, when the seven-year lease expires.
Daniel Monk, 31, told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “It came as a bit of a shock.
“Everybody we talk to is very disappointed.
“Nearly all our business comes from word of mouth.
You may also want to watch:
“They are more than customers, they are friends.
“It has been my whole life.”
- 1 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 5 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 6 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 7 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 8 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'
The business was started by his father David Monk, now 63, and employs Daniel, his 27-year-old brother Jason and their mother Alison, who does paperwork and administration.
Although they live in Welwyn Garden City, they have many friends and customers in Welwyn, where Daniel and Jason went to school.
The family is negotiating to move into another yard in Codicote Road, Welwyn, but Daniel said the move would involve considerable trouble and expense, and they would have liked more notice.
Mr Quinlan, who owns the yard through his company AT Jenkins Ltd, responded: “Mr and Mrs Monk knew the term expired on May 31, 2014 at the time they signed the lease in 2007 and knew that it could not be renewed.
“We make no further comment.”