Welwyn man reunites orphan with precious pictures of her parents
AN orphan has been reunited with the last precious pictures taken of her family before an horrific car crash — thanks to a grandad-of-two from Welwyn.
Chris Westbury found the 14 photos in August after his parents passed away and he was clearing out their Stevenage home.
Since he recognised Ron and Pearl Dominey — friends of his parents Rose and Stan Westbury — and their daughter Jane Carman in the images he searched high and low to reunite the latter with the pictures, but to no avail.
Chris, who lives in the Oaklands area, told the Welwyn Hatfield Times how, as a last resort in October, he contacted the Domineys’ local newspaper in Bournemouth to appeal to anyone who knew the family.
He said: “I got a good response.
You may also want to watch:
“One of the readers called and said he still lived in the same road as the couple once did.
“He passed my number on to Jane who then called me.”
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 3 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 4 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 7 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 8 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 9 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 10 New car park proposed for park
Jane, now aged 53 and living in Bristol, was 11 when the accident happened in 1968 in Hampshire.
She and her parents were travelling to their home in Burton, Dorset after holidaying with the Westburys in Spain.
Of the car crash Chris, who has lived in Welwyn for 27 years, said: “The dad had a heart attack at the wheel, the mum was killed. The little girl survived but was in a very bad way and was in hospital for months.”
The retired accountant added: “Jane was surprised and delighted at the same time [when she received the photos last week].
“I just wanted to give her them as they could be the very last pictures of her parents.
“I am delighted she has got them.”
Jane, who has four children, told the Bournemouth Echo: “It’s wonderful, I’m so pleased I have the pictures and some more memories.”`