Welwyn Hatfield village road given right of way
VILLAGERS, who rallied together to prevent a barrier from being erected, have been successful in their bid.
Residents of Danesbury Park Road battled with Herts County Council after initial permission had been given to Phillip Glencross, the owner of Danesbury Hill House, to install a blockade.
Monday last week 50 of them crammed into Codicote Parish Council to get the issue sorted.
They had documentation to suggest the road - situated between Codicote and Welwyn - was a public highway and their information was later proved to be correct, after an investigation by council officer Richard Cuthbert, the head of rights of way.
In a letter to residents, he confessed: “The county council is of the opinion that Danesbury Park Road is public highway but not maintainable at public expense.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cuthbert, who uncovered in-depth historical detail about the road stating its use, added: “It would still be illegal to erect a barrier across a public highway as planning permission do not give this right and, those with private rights may take an injunction against anything which interferes with the exercise of their private rights.”
Resident Caroline Tinner, who was keen to point out she had sympathy with Mr Glencross and solely blamed county council, told the WHT after receiving the letter: “We are quietly optimistic,” but remained reserved until the issue finally went away for good.
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 8 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 9 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
She added: “Margery Hone’s evidence proved conclusive.”
For more on this story see this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times.