Welwyn Hatfield Times review of 2010: December
It’s been another eventful 12 months in Times Territory. Here, the Welwyn Hatfield Times looks back at what was making the headlines in December 2010.
* A FRENZIED crowd awaited both Lloyd Daniels and Diva Fever as they came to WGC and Hatfield, respectively, to turn on the Christmas lights.
The X Factor stars performed alongside a host of local talent on what were freezing cold nights.
Their appearances were followed by the arrival of former winner Alexandra Burke, who played at the Forum.
Unbelievably the excitement for the ITV show went up yet another notch as it was announced One Direction and Katie Waissel were to perform at The Forum in January.
You may also want to watch:
* THERE was joy of another kind for Shirley Brooks.
She saw a picture of Winston Churchill in the Daimler DB18 car that belonged to an old boyfriend in a Mail on Sunday supplement.
- 1 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 2 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 9 Hatfield Battle Proms concert is still going ahead as planned this summer
- 10 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
* ALSO hitting the headlines was 100m and 200m runner Jodie Williams.
The WGC 17-year-old was nominated for BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year. The Herts Phoenix sprinter lost out to diver Tom Daley.
* A 12-YEAR-OLD boy narrowly avoided death after he fell 40ft from a shopping centre’s escalator.
His fall in the Galleria was broken by a table and miraculously the boy was virtually uninjured.
* A TREASURED iPod containing cancer-stricken Sinead Lucas’ precious photos and songs was stolen as heartless thieves raided a family home.
The 8gb gadget was taken as well a blue and silver Acer laptop, which contained the A-level coursework of her younger brother Levi.
The raid also saw an unopened iPhone 4 pinched.
* FAST-FOOD chain McDonald’s enlisted the help of an employee from its WGC branch to challenge misconceptions and stereo-types people have about its staff.
Shift manager Shamsu Faud became the face of a national poster campaign by the burger outlet named Meet Our People.