Welwyn Hatfield Rotary Walk organisers hoping for record number of entrants
THE organisers of this year’s Welwyn Hatfield Rotary Walk are hoping to eclipse last year’s attendance record by more than 100 entrants.
The annual charity event will take place on Sunday, May 9 and participants will be able to take in a picturesque route of either five or 11 miles through the Ayots and the Lea Valley.
Speaking ahead of the walk, John Hopley, the president of Hatfield Rotary Club, said: “Last year nearly 400 people took part in the walk and many of them raised large sums for their charitable causes.
“There were also many people who came along, paid their entry fee and just walked without seeking sponsorship.
“Both types of walkers are welcome to join in; the more the merrier.
You may also want to watch:
“This year we are hoping that more than 500 people will rise to the challenge and complete either the long or short route.”
Entry costs �5 in advance or �10 if you turn up and register on the day.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
Walkers can choose which charity they would like to support and are urged to collect as much money in sponsorship as possible.
The money each walker raises will then be split with 75 per cent going to the charity of their choice and the remaining 25 per cent going to Rotary.
This year’s walk is being supported by a number of organisations, including WGC-based Roche pharmaceuticals, the Herts Sports Partnership and, of course, the Welwyn Hatfield Times.
Entry forms can be obtained from our offices in Howardsgate, by email from firstname.lastname@example.org or via the website, see link right.