Welwyn Hatfield pub wins prestigious award
A GREAT traditional village local has been revealed as the area’s community pub of 2009.
Licensees Nick and Marian Darter were chuffed to hear the news their pub, the Chequers Inn, was awarded the prestigious honour from the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA).
The husband-and-wife team has run the Woolmer Green watering-hole for the last six years and were unaware the CAMRA judges had been popping in on secret visits since regular Andy Rawnsley nominated them.
Marian, 50, said she hoped they had been recognised for their atmosphere, great food and their contribution to the community.
She told the WHT: “We do what we can for the community, we do quite a lot of fundraising.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve raised around �50,000 for Herts Air Ambulance in the last three years, but we couldn’t have done it without the locals.
“The community is very supportive.”
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 3 Charity golf day raises thousands for the Willow Foundation
- 4 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 5 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 6 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 8 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 9 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 10 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
She added up to 100 people were turning up twice a week to enjoy their �5 pie night.
Son Ben, 28, is the pub chef and has about seven tasty homemade pies on offer each time, ranging from a pheasant and smoky bacon to a vegetarian option.
Marian added: “This sort of thing is very important to the feel of it being a community pub.”
CAMRA North Herts member Gill Richardson said: “There’s a lot of competition but the Chequers is a real meeting place for the community.”